The appearance of fungi in the nails, or also known as onychomycosis, is a fairly common condition that occurs especially in the area of the feet, but can also occur in the hands, and is caused by microorganisms or parasites that we call dermatophytes. Some symptoms of onychomycosis can be the yellowish color of the affected area, thickening of the nails or even breakage and bad smell of these in the most severe cases.
Although the first step you should take is to go to the dermatologist to examine you and determine the best treatment for your case, you can also use, in turn, these medicines, some natural remedies to relieve discomfort and reduce these pesky pests.
Benefits of baking soda for nails
The sodium bicarbonate is a natural remedy that originated from its beginnings as a product mainly for home and kitchen. However, currently, this product is used for aesthetic and health purposes due to its different health properties. Here are some of the benefits of sodium bicarbonate for nails and skin:
- The bicarbonate is a good remedy for onychomycosis, since it has excellent antifungal, antiseptic and alkaline properties, which are ideal to relieve the symptoms of this type of skin infections and fight them.
- It has an exfoliating action, which is very useful to eliminate dead cells that accumulate in the outer areas of the skin. As a result, these cleansing properties can slow the growth of the parasites found in our nails.
- This product also provides regulatory properties to control the pH of our dermis and nails. This effect reduces excessive sweating in the feet and, as a consequence, prevents the appearance of fungi and helps reduce them if they are already present.
- Finally, the bicarbonate has whitening properties that help eliminate the yellowish color of the nails caused by onychomycosis.
Benefits of apple vinegar for the feet
- The apple cider vinegar is a food seasoning that doubles as a home for feet and nails remedy, because of these properties that help relieve onychomycosis:
- Its richness in malic acid and acetic acid provide excellent alkaline properties, which help to stop infections caused by fungi and bacteria, including those that occur in the nails.
- They also have properties that regulate the pH of the skin that alter the composition necessary for fungi to proliferate. Therefore, its topical use helps both to prevent and reduce such parasites.
- Its high content in different acids also give apple vinegar antifungal and antibacterial properties that help relieve symptoms caused by nail fungus.
- Finally, vinegar is composed of nutrients such as bioflavonoids, minerals, fiber and vitamins. These nutrients improve the health of the dermis of our feet and, as a result of this care, we can prevent both infections caused by parasites and other types of skin problems.
How to remove fungus from toenails with baking soda and vinegar
As we have indicated, it is advisable that before making any home remedy, you go to the dermatologist to be assigned the best treatment for this type of affections. Once you have your pharmaceutical treatment for onychomycosis, you can also use the following home remedy as a supplement to eliminate fungus from the toenails, combining bicarbonate with apple cider vinegar:
6 glasses of mineral water
1/2 glass of apple cider vinegar
7 tablespoons of baking soda
Preparation and application:
- The first step will be to heat the amount of water described in a pot and when it is more or less hot (since you then have to put your foot in this water), pour it into a basin and add the half glass of apple cider vinegar.
- Now you will have to introduce in the bowl, where the water mixed with the vinegar is, the foot affected by the mushrooms and let it rest for approximately 15 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, dry the foot well with a clean towel and apply the tablespoons of baking soda directly on the nails.
- So that the bicarbonate absorbs better you will have to rub the product on the nails and perform a massage in gentle circles. When finished, let it work on the nails for another 15 minutes.
- When that time has passed, you will only have to rinse the affected foot with abundant warm water and, again, you will have to dry it well.
To notice results with this home treatment, you will have to repeat this process every day at night until you notice that your nails have a better appearance. If the problem is in the nails of the hands, you will have to do the same as indicated but submerge the affected hand, or both if the two have fungi, in the tub and make sure it is well covered.
Article Source: Tape Daily